Monday 2 August 2010

Guybrows




I've always considered myself a metro-sexual. Nevertheless, there are certain territories into which I do not/have not ventured - speedos (not anymore, at least), boots, suspenders, waxing... eyebrow shaping - till about 3 months ago, to be exact. 




Now, dressing well and personal grooming is all fine and dandy. But like any other straight guy, I yearn to maintain a reasonable sense of manliness - in other words, I don't want to go to such lengths of metro-sexuality so as to be consistently mistaken for a homosexual (this comes with absolutely no disrespect to all homosexual friends/readers). But with the aid and coercion of my wife, I recently succumbed to one session of eyebrow plucking. I experienced two revelations after my fateful showdown with the tweezers: 

1. Eyebrow plucking HURTS

nevertheless,

2. Eyebrow plucking is ESSENTIAL

Pain and necessity - now who'd have thought I'd be linking the two in one breath. Rhetorical question.



The reality is many straight men are afraid. Afraid of anything that exceeds the vanity level of combing their hair, slapping on moisturizer and putting together a decent outfit. Anything that exceeds the aforesaid vanity level instantly falls into a threshold of discomfort where many a straight man would never dare venture. 






But fellas, I'm telling you - man to man, heart to heart - get those eyebrows plucked.


Sure, the initial pain might be slightly uncomfortable - but it won't kill you (being badly groomed in today's dog-eat-dog world, though, might). The eyebrows are only one of the most important, defining facial features God laid down on that mug of yours - eyebrows serve as the curtains of the windows to your soul (your eyes). A neatly shaped pair adds aesthetic definition and intensity to the surrounding area; and healthy, well-groomed eyebrows also serve as a subconscious indicator of health and youthful vigor. Try it - chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised how much a little eyebrow tweaking can do for your entire outlook. 


Plucking your eyebrows can create a very desirable 'natural-arch' which creates an intense 'James Bond'-esque stare



That being said, caution must be exercised when performing the said procedure - overly shaped, over-the-top eyebrows as opposed to natural-looking, tidy eyebrows only serve to make you look more like Prince instead of Pierce (Brosnan) . When it comes to guybrows, the guiding principle is not so much to "shape" them as to just "cleaning them up". My advice is to go to a salon that specializes in men's eyebrow shaping as opposed to a general salon that is likely to have done most of its work on female clients. 



And to all my compadres who have been blessed with the gift of the unibrow - you're first in line.






6 comments:

Jorge said...

yo rudi, maybe you can show us the before and after picture of your facial appearance =P

Dunstan said...

well, as an encouragement, plucking hurts for the first few times, but a few times after that, trust me u wont feel a thing when u get the hang of ot...

Anonymous said...

Dude.
plucking is only necessary when have a monobrow or u look like a wookie.
stop encouraging men to pluck their eyebrows lest they look like transvestites.

fyi jude law's eyebrows dont look plucked.

Ninie Ahmad said...

I'm gonna ask you the same question I ask my boyfriend time after time:

Are you sure you're not gay?

I know the answer alright and I thank God for straight guys with gay qualities! Glad I found your blog :)

Rudi said...

franch: i'll think about it!

dunstan: my second time was as bad as the first..

anonymous: sze? nani?

ninie: thanks for your encouragement la. great honor to have you drop by :)

Des said...

Personally I pluck the hairs between my brows to prevent the Unibrow.. never really got past that tho.. haha

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms